#1 (Radon) Major KB

(Radon) Major KB

Your friendly neighborhood asshole

• CMF
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1297 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:07 PM

Okay, so I am running feed-the-beast. It's a mod-pack for minecraft. Take a look at it if you get a chance... ANYWAY, I have gotten to run a server on my computer but have an issue. I need to give the program a bit more ram. Okay, a LOT more. I can set this up just fine for vanilla minecraft. Go to the run.bat file and edited the -xmsx command line and add more ram. However, when I try this on FTB, it does NOTHING. I am still sitting at about 300 Mb being used. 500 tops, but that's rare. My computer has 12 Gb of ram. Needless to say, I have it available. I am also running java-64 bit on a 64 bit OS. The server would just be for me and one other person. So, how can I fix this RAM issue?

- memory usage [ram] is sitting at 200-300 mb

- have 12 Gb of ram available

- want to up the server's usage of ram to anywhere b/t 3-6 Gb allocated to use as needed

- There'd be 2 players on the server, myself included.

- The command line doesn't change the actual ram usage.

- Basing this off the GUI.

Trust me, i'm gay

sig-103316-random.png

#2 rajak

rajak

Wicked Nasty

• Server Admins
  • 346 posts
  • Classless

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:39 PM

I have no idea of the particulars of FTB/Minecraft but here are a few thoughts,

- You say you set the '-xmsx' flag but that isn't a normal flag to be used with Sun/Oracle Java (which I assume you are using). Try something like '-Xms512m -Xmx4096m'. Correct capitalization is important. -Xms sets initial heap size (so can be lower) and -Xmx sets maximum heap size.

- Use a program like Process Explorer to find the process you expect to be using more memory and check the command-line arguments to make sure your Java arguments are being passed as expected. Explanation of using that particular utility can be found here: http://superuser.com...running-program

- Initial memory utilization doesn't really mean anything unless you are setting the -Xms option to a very high value (and you don't really need to do that... it doesn't take that much time to allocate additional heap space as necessary). Are you getting out of memory errors?

Edited by rajak, January 11, 2014 - 11:39 PM.

Posted Image

#3 (Radon) Major KB

(Radon) Major KB

• CMF
  • 1297 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 11, 2014 - 11:54 PM

I have no idea of the particulars of FTB/Minecraft but here are a few thoughts,

- You say you set the '-xmsx' flag but that isn't a normal flag to be used with Sun/Oracle Java (which I assume you are using). Try something like '-Xms512m -Xmx4096m'. Correct capitalization is important. -Xms sets initial heap size (so can be lower) and -Xmx sets maximum heap size.

- Use a program like Process Explorer to find the process you expect to be using more memory and check the command-line arguments to make sure your Java arguments are being passed as expected. Explanation of using that particular utility can be found here: http://superuser.com...running-program

- Initial memory utilization doesn't really mean anything unless you are setting the -Xms option to a very high value (and you don't really need to do that... it doesn't take that much time to allocate additional heap space as necessary). Are you getting out of memory errors?

java -Xms1G -Xmx2G -XX:PermSize=128m -jar ftbserver.jar                       That's my vanilla minecraft load line, sorry about the confusion. I was going off of memory. As in human memory in that one xD

Memory errors? Errmm... kinda sorta?
 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

Edit - I'll say this now, I am not very proficient in coding. I can read some basic stuff, such as this, and changed/swap out some things, but a lot of it is gibberish to me. Heap size falls in that category fo "What the fu-?"

Trust me, i'm gay

sig-103316-random.png

#4 rajak

rajak

Wicked Nasty

• Server Admins
  • 346 posts
  • Classless

Posted January 12, 2014 - 12:05 AM

java -Xms1G -Xmx2G -XX:PermSize=128m -jar ftbserver.jar                       That's my vanilla minecraft load line, sorry about the confusion. I was going off of memory. As in human memory in that one xD

My opinion from that error would be that this is not based on memory limitations. Java, when it truly hits its memory limits, doesn't just slow down or act funky; it shits the bed and stops working entirely. It looks something like this:

• java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: nativeGetNewTLA
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: request <size> bytes for <reason>. Out of swap space?
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: <reason> <stack trace> (Native method)

Maybe some of the Minecraft folk can suggest other areas to investigate.

(I hate this forum software.. editing right after posting is broken and lists don't work now)

Edited by rajak, January 12, 2014 - 12:06 AM.

Posted Image

#5 (Radon) Major KB

(Radon) Major KB

• CMF
  • 1297 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 12, 2014 - 12:15 AM

My opinion from that error would be that this is not based on memory limitations. Java, when it truly hits its memory limits, doesn't just slow down or act funky; it shits the bed and stops working entirely. It looks something like this:

• java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: nativeGetNewTLA
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Requested array size exceeds VM limit
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: request <size> bytes for <reason>. Out of swap space?
  • java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: <reason> <stack trace> (Native method)

Maybe some of the Minecraft folk can suggest other areas to investigate.

(I hate this forum software.. editing right after posting is broken and lists don't work now)

Ah okay, thanks. I was figuring a memory issue, seeing as how the mem was hardly being utilized, and when in game the stutters were unbearable. I know it wasn't ping, since I got it on my own server. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Trust me, i'm gay

sig-103316-random.png

#6 Duke Of URL

Duke Of URL

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up.

• CMF
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Engineer

Posted January 12, 2014 - 12:56 AM

Do you have both 32- and 64-bit java on your machine?

sig-227892-random.png

#7 (Radon) Major KB

(Radon) Major KB

• CMF
  • 1297 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 12, 2014 - 01:05 AM

Do you have both 32- and 64-bit java on your machine?

No, just 64

Major: come play some TF2 with me.

I hear ya, it may be a little while though... Flat out exhausted

Trust me, i'm gay

sig-103316-random.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users