6 replies to this topic

#1 Opequon

Opequon

i can typing

• Server Admins
  • 781 posts
  • Soldier

Posted October 18, 2014 - 04:31 AM

I've been hosting a local server from my PC so me & my kid can play together.  The max build height has reached so high that when I'm up there, the landscape below looks like shit (drops off to nothing).

I got the bright idea that allocating more RAM to both my local client and the server would improve my situation.  Turns out that this kills the server.

I have RAM o'plenty [(16 GB) suck it, Snowflake].  Some precursory investigation has led me to believe that less is more when it comes to Minecraft, in regards to RAM allocation.  Stock settings gave the best performance in terms of gameplay, but I want to maximize my view of the world.  I like to explore and would rather not travel towards an open location only to find that it's actually filled with blocks I don't want to climb or descend.

Here's my Speccy specs

ZFYzKHS.jpg

Java build 1.8.0_25-b18

Any tips or recommendations?  Overclocking the CPU will take some heavy duty walk through, just sayin.

Thanks in advance for assistance offered :)

#2 Σ-Stigma

Σ-Stigma

Dirty Commie

• Site Staff
  • 1961 posts
  • Pyro

Posted October 18, 2014 - 05:17 AM

So you're hosting the server on the same box as your client? If I remember correctly, there didn't seem to be a difference after 4 gigs. I think there's a view distance setting in the server properties. Have you messed with that?

Bitcoin tips: 1KFarKECkqTde8JUTSqLuWjDWBMEfFF1Q4
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Opequon

Opequon

i can typing

• Server Admins
  • 781 posts
  • Soldier

Posted October 18, 2014 - 12:03 PM

So you're hosting the server on the same box as your client? If I remember correctly, there didn't seem to be a difference after 4 gigs. I think there's a view distance setting in the server properties. Have you messed with that?

Correct, same box.  4 gigs, eh?  So 10 would be excessive?  View distance currently set to 30.  I'll do some trial & error with the RAM allocation and view distance.  30 was glorious, but maybe a bit greedy.

#4 Opequon

Opequon

i can typing

• Server Admins
  • 781 posts
  • Soldier

Posted October 20, 2014 - 12:43 AM

Update:

View distance dialed back to 25, with satisfactory results.  I did some googling and added a bunch of java arguments to my client & server launch files.  I have no idea what they actually do (except for "garbage collection), but the game works.  FPS improved a bit and I stopped getting heinous lag and a notification in the command prompt window that the server was overworked.  Thanks for responding, Sigma.

#5 malicart

malicart

MEDIC!

• Server Admins
  • 2121 posts
  • Medic

Posted October 20, 2014 - 11:22 AM

How are you running your server program?  I used to run the gui that comes with the server, but then I learned you can just start MC in a console window and get better results.

Remember, lag is caused by that plugin INF made in secret: it causes lag when lag is bitched about.

#6 Opequon

Opequon

i can typing

• Server Admins
  • 781 posts
  • Soldier

Posted October 20, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, I saw some people include a -nogui argument.  I'll check that out.  It's not like the gui does anything anyways!

#7 malicart

malicart

MEDIC!

• Server Admins
  • 2121 posts
  • Medic

Posted October 20, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, I saw some people include a -nogui argument.  I'll check that out.  It's not like the gui does anything anyways!

Exactly, but it did seem to make a marked improvement for the machine I was running it on.

Remember, lag is caused by that plugin INF made in secret: it causes lag when lag is bitched about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users